Guys, it’s that time of year again. PitchWars fever has taken over Twitter, and I’ve decided to jump on that train. Again. Because let’s be real — I love riding at high speeds toward potential critiques that could drastically improve my project. So without further ado, here is my 2016 mentee bio.
Bring. It. On.
2016 mentee bio
Let’s start with the basics. My name is Maxym (pronounced like the magazine, hence my blog name), Twitter handle is @maxymmckay, and I love to write fantasy/romance novels, either new adult or adult. This year, I’ll be submitting an adult fantasy novel with elements of romance. I work as a copy editor and writer for a prominent domain company, and I’m more than willing to rip any piece of work down to its core. Even my own. Especially my own.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way …
I won’t go into too much detail since I’m guessing you’ll get the gist of my writing style from my submission, but here’s a quick brief.
My entry is set in the fantasy world of New Fenland. I wanted to write a story that highlighted some of the more underrated, female, mythological creatures. Enter Harlyn, the sarcastic, hot-headed succubus with a knack for landing herself in dangerous situations. Like indentured servitude. My story also features a sadistic druid with a deadly hand and even deadlier smile, a pixie wound so tight she’s bound to slice and dice with her arsenal of knives, and a torturer turned brother in the form of a bull demon. Oh, and one really bad case of Stockholm Syndrome.
Now, let’s go over all of the things that make me, well, me! If you browsed my mentee bio last year, you’ll find some similarities.
- I’m terrified of moths. I know it’s ridiculous, but I’m convinced they’ll eat my clothes right off my body in a whirlwind of movement, leaving me in nothing more than dust particles from their wings. Gross.
- I have an obsession with Dr. Pepper. And rum. Together. And tequila. Not together.
- I love to bake! I promise I’ll make you all of your favorite goodies if we work together. I just got a standing electric mixer for my birthday, and I’d love to put it to use.
- I still to this day don’t understand why, out of all the magical things that happen in Game of Thrones, no one can give Bran his damn legs back.
- I have a plethora of celebrity crushes, namely Liam Hemsworth, Ryan Reynolds, Dylan O’Brien and Jensen Ackles.
- I have way too many favorite TV shows to list them all, but I’ll shout out a few:
- Rick and Morty
- South Park
- Game of Thrones
- Silicon Valley
- Orange is the New Black
- Law and Order: SVU (no other variations, just SVU. Probably has something to do with Mariska)
- Don’t even get me started on books. I love anything Harry Potter (don’t we all?), Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, the Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, and The Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost (love me some Cat and Bones). I’m also a sucker for romance novels, so a shout out to Brighton Walsh, Kelly Siskind and Monica B. Wagner.
- I’m a mother to three adorable fur babies. Eventually I might think about adding the real deal to the mix, but postponing that until after marriage.
- Speaking of marriage … I’m recently engaged! Couldn’t be more excited. And wouldn’t you know, our wedding is going to take place on St. Patty’s Day next year. Because why not?
- And I’m an avid gamer. Kingdom Hearts, WoW (yes, you read that right), Super Smash Brothers, Sims, Harvest Moon — I’ll play just about anything.
Wrap it up
Just as a secondary reminder, my job consists of me taking and giving criticism. Guys, I love that stuff. I’d be so honored and humbled to work with someone who’d give it to me straight. Like all authors in this competition, my book is my baby. And I want my baby to graduate. Strap up and head out into the world to make a name for itself. With your help, I’m sure that it can.
And now I must dive back into my project to shine it up for all you lovelies. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! I’ll be sure to bring the cookies. And the booze. And whatever else your editing heart requires. 🙂
Here’s a link back to the main blog hop page! Thanks again for hosting, Lana! Good luck to all of my fellow writers.